Inspired by videos of dancing hexapod competitions, I built an 18-servo hexapod and programmed it by myself. Here’s a video of it walking:
The robot was made of ABS plastic, 18 servos, an Arduino nano, and a Pololu serial servo controller. With Prof. Dan Frey’s permission, I substited this independent project for the normal coursework for Design and Manufacturing I. The hexapod used the tripod gait to walk and turn around.
What I did: This project was my own design, fabrication, and programming.
- I wrote an Instructables about it which was featured and received over 44,000 views: Simple 18dof Hexapod, Arduino nano (optionally with pololu maestro).
I made a video about the design process:
- The code may be found on Github.
- An album of build pictures: 2.007 Hexapod (Spring 2011)
- A retrospective blog post.
- Circular Hexapod – Walking around from nouyang on Vimeo.
- Prototyping and Design Process – Hexapods from nouyang on Vimeo.